1045.5 Policy on Color of Structural Steel Paint
This policy was approved 9/10/96 by the Design Committee and updated 7/1/03.
The color of structural steel paint shall be gray (Federal Standard #26373) or brown (Federal Standard # 30045) except when approved by the District Engineer and the following conditions are met:
- 1) An agreement with a local entity sponsoring the color is made indicating the local entity shall:
- a) Pay for all costs associated with providing necessary test data.
- b) Pay for all costs associated with the finish coat in excess of typical costs associated with standard colors.
- c) Pay for future costs for applying the finish coat in excess of typical costs associated with standard colors as a condition of continuing the unique color. (The agreement should stipulate that the color will be maintained in the future as mutually agreeable by both parties. The additional cost to the local entity would be determined at that time. Since we require a previously approved "system" be used, the prime coat will be the same as a standard system and should not fail prematurely. If the color fades prematurely and the local entity wants it repainted, they would pay proportionately. If the color fades and the local entity does not want to pay their share, the district would decide when future repainting occurs.)
- 2) Only approved systems from currently approved manufacturers will be considered
- 3) The district or local entity shall provide certified performance data from an independent testing laboratory on samples formulated with the finish coat of the desired color from two paint manufacturers. Following is the data required:
- a) Physical property and performance of the finish coat as indicated in EPG 1045 Paint for Structural Steel.
- b) Duplicate test panels which have undergone accelerated exposure testing as described above, as well as an unexposed control panel shall be submitted to:
- Construction and Materials
- 1617 Missouri Boulevard
- Jefferson City, Missouri 65109.
- 4) All required data as detailed in 1045 Paint for Structural Steel shall be submitted to Construction and Materials, at least three months prior to the plans due date for letting. Changes after letting shall be submitted to Construction and Materials, at least three months prior to date of desired change order.
- 5) Provide a copy of the agreement as listed in Item 1 to Bridge, at least three months prior to the plans due date for letting.