771.14 Spot Painting of Bearings and Piling
Spot painting of bearings and piling is done to protect the bearings and piling from rusting. The work is scheduled April to November weather permitting with temperatures above 40 degrees and dry conditions.
- Calcium sulfonate primer or penetrating sealer
- Gray or green calcium sulfonate topcoat
- Blasting sand or abrasive
- Paint products available in aerosol cans
1. Remove all paint scale, pack rust, and other surface rust by sandblasting, scraping, grinding, or wire brushing.
2. Prime exposed steel with rust resistant primer using paint sprayer or brush immediately following prep work.
3. When primer has dried, apply topcoat with paint sprayer or brush.
Where lead based paint exists take proper precautions to collect and properly dispose debris.