771.18 In-Deck Bridge Deck Crack Filler
Jump to navigation Jump to search
In-Deck Bridge deck crack filler helps to seal bridge decks with larger width cracks to prevent intrusion of water and chlorides into the bridge deck or overlay.
- In-Deck is used on bridge decks with deck cracks ranging in width from 1/128” to 1/64” or wider.
- The work should be performed in temperatures below 75°F. Applying the product in cooler weather allows better crack penetration.
- Temperatures below 55°F may require longer dry times.
- Make sure the deck surface is clean and dry. Blow off any loose particles with compressed air before applying product.
- Cover expansion devices or other features that are not to be sealed over.
- Thoroughly mix In-Deck with water at jobsite to form a 50/50 mixture. Apply at a rate of 100 sq. ft./gal. of mixed material.
- Material can be poured directly onto the surface or applied by other means. Using stiff bristle brooms, uniformly distribute product around the deck surface, making sure to not leave any puddles. Broom parallel along existing tine markings to make sure that material does not fill in texturing. Frequently go back and broom out any puddles that may redevelop.
- Allow product to stand until completely dry before allowing traffic onto the surface. If necessary, apply sand to the surface while material is still tacky to help blot excess material, prevent tracking, and improve short-term skid resistance. This is especially recommended in higher traffic volume areas where decks are worn smooth or where braking action may be anticipated.
Reapplication should be considered at 3- to 5-year intervals.
Pavon In Deck should be applied according to manufacturer’s recommendations. See R322 Bridge Seal Coats Maintenance Planning Guidelines for additional information.
Health and Environment
Work crews should wear appropriate PPE and follow manufacturer’s recommendations when applying. Runoff from crack filling needs to be controlled to prevent contamination of waterways and property damage. Refer to MSDS additional information.