1048.3 Laboratory Testing Guidelines for Sec 1048
This article establishes procedures for testing and reporting of preformed pavement marking tapes, thermoplastic pavement marking material, waterborne traffic marking paint, acrylic copolymer traffic marking paint, epoxy traffic marking material, snowplowable raised pavement markers, temporary raised pavement markers and drop-on glass beads. Refer to Sec 1048 for MoDOT’s specifications.
- 1 1048.3.1 Apparatus
- 2 1048.3.2 Procedure
- 2.1 1048.3.2.1 Preformed Marking Tapes
- 2.2 1048.3.2.2 Thermoplastic Pavement Marking Material
- 2.3 1048.3.2.3 Drop-on Glass Beads
- 2.4 1048.3.2.4 Waterborne Traffic Marking Paint
- 2.5 1048.3.2.5 Acrylic Copolymer Traffic Marking Paint
- 2.6 1048.3.2.6 Epoxy Traffic Marking Paint
- 2.7 1048.3.2.7 Snowplowable Raised Pavement Markers
- 2.8 1048.3.2.8 Temporary Raised Pavement Markers
- 3 1048.3.3 Sample Report
The apparatus is designated in the test methods referred to for testing the particular type of material.
1048.3.2.1 Preformed Marking Tapes
1048.3.2.1.2 Physical Requirements
Inspect all types of pavement marking tape to determine compliance with the requirements of Sec 1048 for dimensions, flexibility and suitability of adhesive.
Documentation. Evaluate the documentation furnished by the manufacturer for compliance with Sec 1048.
In the case of preformed removable pavement marking tape, Construction and Materials will request Traffic by letter to apply test lines of the tape and to monitor and report results to Materials. The letter will request:
- (1) Four 12 ft. (3.6 m) long test lines, of each color, be applied transversely to both concrete and asphaltic concrete pavements.
- (2) The tapes be applied and removed within the temperature range recommended by the tape manufacturer.
- (3) One tape of each color be removed manually at time of installation and at 30-day intervals until all test lines are removed.
- (4) The tapes be evaluated for ease and completeness of removal, bead retention, durability and whether the tape left an objectionable or misleading image after removal.
1048.3.2.2 Thermoplastic Pavement Marking Material
Test thermoplastic pavement marking material for compliance with Sec 1048 using the applicable methods set forth in AASHTO M 249 and AASHTO T 250.
1048.3.2.3 Drop-on Glass Beads
Test drop-on glass beads for compliance with Sec 1048. The test methods are those set forth in AASHTO M 247, with the exception of the silica (SiO2) content. The silica content is determined by ASTM C 169, Procedure for Referee Analysis.
1048.3.2.4 Waterborne Traffic Marking Paint
Test waterborne traffic marking paint for compliance with Sec 1048. The test methods are set forth in Sec 1048.
1048.3.2.5 Acrylic Copolymer Traffic Marking Paint
Test acrylic copolymer traffic marking paint for compliance with Sec 1048. The test methods are set forth in Sec 1048.
1048.3.2.6 Epoxy Traffic Marking Paint
1048.3.6.1 Test epoxy traffic marking paint for compliance with Sec 1048. The test methods are set forth in Sec 1048.
1048.3.2.7 Snowplowable Raised Pavement Markers
Snowplowable raised pavement markers are no longer installed in MoDOT projects. Rehabilitation is to comply with JSP-07-07 Snowplowable Raised Pavement Marker Rehabilitation or Removal.
1048.3.2.8 Temporary Raised Pavement Markers
Test temporary raised pavement markers for compliance with Sec 1048. Dimensional requirements are set forth in Sec 1048.
1048.3.3 Sample Report
Complete the sample record in SiteManager, as described in Automation Sec 3510, and indicate acceptance, qualified acceptance or rejection. Include appropriate remarks, as described in 106.9 Reporting Test Results, in the remarks to clarify conditions of acceptance or rejection. Report test results on the appropriate templates under the Tests tab.