127.27 Guidelines for Obtaining Environmental Clearance for Off-Site Activities

From Engineering_Policy_Guide
Revision as of 12:25, 25 August 2010 by Smithk (talk | contribs) (EPG article "Guidelines for Obtaining Environmental Clearance..." (article from 2007, no appreciable history; 1866 hits) moved to EPG 127.27.)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This article provides guidelines for obtaining environmental clearance for disturbed areas such as:

Borrow Sites Haul Roads
Burn Pits Staging Areas
and Spoil Sites

at project-specific locations.

The necessary clearances for disturbed areas such as those referenced above shall be obtained prior to using these areas for projects. The contractor is encouraged to consider using material from previously disturbed locations (substantial disturbance) or disturbed areas that have previously been cleared, precluding the need to address most, if not all, of the issues described below. The contractor should include the federal project number on all correspondence. The following addresses the primary environmental issues related to clearance of disturbed areas such as borrow sites:

127.27.1 The Endangered Species Act

The Federal Endangered Species Act protects rare species and their habitats. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) administers the Act. Violations of this act can result in extensive project delays and severe fines. To determine if an activity will impact any rare species or their habitats, contact the Missouri Department of Conservation’s Policy and Coordination Section at (573) 751-4115 to request a query of the MDC Heritage Database. All queries must be accompanied by a good quality map illustrating the location of the proposed site with a description of the activity. Allow at least three weeks for a response to all requests.

If there are no known records of rare species or sensitive habitats at the proposed site, and it is unlikely that any will be impacted by the activity, the contractor will be given clearance to proceed. However, if rare species are known or likely to occur at the site, or known critical habitat exists, further coordination with MDC and the USFWS will be necessary. Written clearance from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service may be required before the project can proceed.

Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC)
Planning Division
P.O. Box 180
Jefferson City MO 65102-0180
Telephone Number (573) 751-4115 or FAX (573) 751-4495

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS)
Columbia Field Office
101 Park DeVille Drive - Suite A
Columbia, MO 65203-0007
Telephone Number (573) 234-2131 or Fax (573) 234-2182

127.27.2 Floodplain/Regulatory Floodway

An evaluation of floodplain impacts is mandated by Executive Order 11988, Floodplain Management, and subsequent federal floodplain management guidelines. When available, flood hazard boundary maps (National Flood Insurance Program) and flood insurance studies for the project area are used to determine the limits of the base (100-year) floodplain and the extent of encroachment.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) guidelines 23 CFR 650 have identified the base (100-year) flood as the flood having a one percent probability of being equaled or exceeded in any given year. The base floodplain is the area of 100-year flood hazard within a county or community. The regulatory floodway is the channel of a stream plus any adjacent floodplain areas that must be kept free of encroachment so that the 100-year flood discharge can be conveyed without increasing the base flood elevation more than a specified amount. FEMA has mandated that projects can cause no rise in the regulatory floodway, and a one-foot cumulative rise for all projects in the base (100-year) floodplain. For projects that involve the state of Missouri, the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) issues floodplain development permits. In the case of projects proposed within regulatory floodways, a "No-Rise" Certification, if applicable, should be obtained prior to issuance of a permit.

Questions regarding floodplain and regulatory floodway should be addressed to:

P.O. Box 116
Jefferson City MO
(573) 526-9141

Documentation of consultation with SEMA regarding the presence of 100-year floodplain/regulatory floodway should be included in the final collection of information to be submitted to MoDOT staff.

127.27.3 Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Buyout Lands

The Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973, as amended by the Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act of 1988 (The Stafford Act), identified the use of disaster relief funds under Section 404 for the Hazard Mitigation Grand Program (HMGP), including the acquisition and relocation of flood damaged property. The Volkmer Bill further expanded the use of HMGP funds under Section 404 to “buy out” flood damaged property, which had been affected by the Great Flood of 1993.

There are numerous restrictions on these FEMA buyout properties. No structures or improvements may be erected on these properties unless they are open on all sides. The site shall be used only for open space purposes, and shall stay in public ownership. These conditions and restrictions (among others), along with the right to enforce same, are deemed to be covenants running with the land in perpetuity and are binding on subsequent successors, grantees, or assigns. Any decision involving these properties should take into consideration that 2-3 years is necessary to process an exemption from FEMA to utilize this parcel. This exemption would likely be a permanent easement rather than a transfer of property. If any proposed site is located on a FEMA buyout property, an alternative site should be chosen.

127.27.4 Farmland Protection

Farmland protection.jpg

In order to comply with the Farmland Protection Policy Act, which has the purpose of minimizing Federal programs' contributions to the unnecessary and irreversible conversion of farmland caused by nonagricultural uses, the Form AD-1006 will need to be completed. This can be accomplished through coordination with United States Department of Agricultural (USDA)-Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), and the completion of Form AD-1006. To receive the Form AD-1006, call the NRCS State office in Columbia at (573) 876-9411. An aerial map of the site or sites will also be required with the area to be disturbed identified on the map. This aerial map can be obtained from the local SCS office. In some areas of the state this office may be located in an adjoining county.

The contractor will need to complete Parts I and III of Form AD-1006. The form should then be sent to the NRCS State Office for completion of Parts II, IV and V. The address for NRCS State Office is:

Mr. Dennis Potter
State Soil Scientist
Natural Resource Conservation Service
601 Business Loop 70 West
Parkade Center, Suite 250
Columbia, MO 65203

After the NRCS office returns the form, the contractor will complete remaining Parts VI and VII. The contractor will provide a copy of the completed form to the MoDOT district contact to document compliance with the Farmland Protection Policy Act.

127.27.5 Wetlands

Federal executive order has decreed a national policy of "no net loss of wetlands." Under this policy, impacts to wetlands must be avoided if at all practical. Where wetlands are impacted, these impacts must be mitigated by construction or enhancement of a like quantity and quality of new wetlands. For these reasons, avoiding impacts to wetlands is a primary goal.

To determine whether wetlands occur on a site, contact the USDA, NRCS. The NRCS has identified and mapped wetlands as a requirement under the Food Security Act. These maps are available from county NRCS offices, usually located in the county seat. For all other non-farmland sites, consult the US Fish and Wildlife Service's Wetlands Map. If wetlands are identified on Food Security Act wetland maps, a site visit may be needed to confirm the location of wetlands. If there are no wetland impacts, no other action need be taken.

If there are any questions about the extent of wetlands in the event that wetlands cannot be avoided, contact the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (COE). If wetlands cannot be avoided, a COE Section 404 permit would be processed through the appropriate COE district. There are five COE districts in Missouri. Information about COE district locations, addresses and phone numbers is available on the COE website.

127.27.6 Water Quality/Land Disturbance

The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Systems (NPDES) program regulates construction activities where 1 acre or more of land is disturbed. If the project proponent has a general NPDES permit for all of their construction activities, this is adequate. If the project proponent does not have a valid general permit and the site to be disturbed is greater than 1 acre in size, a project-specific NPDES permit from DNR is required. If the project is entirely within MoDOT right of way, the sponsor may use MoDOT’s general permit. In either case, the sponsor will need to develop a site-specific stormwater pollution prevention plan for the project. The sponsor shall contact the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (DNR) NPDES Storm Water Program office at (573) 751-1300 or (800) 361-4827 for further directions. A few cities (Kansas City, Columbia, and others) and counties have obtained their own land disturbance permits from DNR for generic land disturbance purposes; see additional discussion on stormwater and erosion control in 136.4 Environmental and Cultural Requirements of the LPA Policy.

127.27.7 Hazardous Waste Sites

More than likely, areas to be disturbed will be located in rural areas that have been used for agriculture or similar purposes. Hazardous wastes are most typically associated with commercial or previous industrial properties.

If the proposed area is basically farmland or pasture, and has not been used for any commercial activity or dumping, hazardous wastes are unlikely. The contractor should simply document the existing and historic land use of the parcel and tell how this assessment was obtained.

In nonrural, suburban or commercial areas a nonintrusive investigation may be used to "diagnose" the environmental conditions of a selected site. The following is a list of suggested items, but not inclusive, for a cursory nonintrusive investigation.

  • Examine any noticeable contamination in the form of surface staining, oil sheen, odors, stressed vegetation, spills, leaks, illegal dumping, etc.
  • Conduct interviews of local citizens and current owners to identify past land use practices and hazardous waste management practices.
  • Consult with local and state (Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Hazardous Waste Program, 573-751-3176) environmental regulatory agencies to identify if any past problems (complaints, citations, etc.) have occurred at the site, if any permits/licenses have been filed for the site, or if enforcement actions have occurred.

If the above analyses produce negative results, the contractor should provide documentation to the MoDOT Design Division-Environmental Section as to who was contacted and the results of the contact. However, if through the search for information described above, potential problems are identified, it would be wise to locate another site.

The potential to encounter wastes from sites that are unknown should always be a consideration. Any unknown sites that are found will be handled in accordance with Federal and State Laws and Regulations.

127.27.8 Historic Preservation

All jobs requiring environmental clearance for historic preservation (archaeological sites, buildings, and structures) must be reviewed and approved by the State Historic Preservation office (SHPO), Department of Natural Resources. To initiate SHPO's review and clearance of a proposed site for cultural resources, a "Section 106 Project Information Form" must be completed and submitted to SHPO along with a copy of a United States Geological Survey (USGS) topographic map indicating the location of the project. In addition, photographs of any structures that will be impacted must be provided. The "Section 106 Project Information Form" can be obtained from the SHPO website or requested from the SHPO by telephone, (573) 751-7858, or mail:

Missouri Department of Natural Resources
State Historic Preservation Office
Attn: Section 106 Review
P.O. Box 176
Jefferson City, MO, 65102-0176

Based on the information supplied, SHPO may clear the project at that time or request that the contractor acquire the services of an archaeological consultant to conduct a historic preservation survey of the proposed area. A listing of currently acceptable and available archaeological consultants who can complete a survey if required can be viewed at the SHPO’s website. Any questions can be directed to the Design Division-Historic Preservation Section, at (573) 751-0473.

127.27.9 Public Land

If borrow sites are proposed on any publicly owned land, contact the MoDOT district representative before proceeding. Section 4(f) of the Department of Transportation Act of 1966 (now codified as 49 U.S.C. 303 and 23 U.S.C. 138) protects certain public lands. Section 4(f) requires that all U.S. DOT-funded transportation projects must avoid impacts to public parkland and wildlife refuges (and cultural resources deemed eligible for the National Register of Historic Places), unless it is successfully demonstrated that no feasible and prudent alternative exists that avoid “use” or impacts to the park or refuge. It is strongly recommended that public lands not be considered as potential borrow sites.

Once the contractor has obtained all of the above information, it should be provided to the MoDOT district contact. The transmittal letter must include county, route and job number of the project, along with a map depicting the location and limits of the site(s).