771.13 Sealing Abutment and Pier Caps
Sealing abutment and pier caps is done to prevent intrusion of water and chlorides leading to deterioration. Sealing may be performed at anytime when labor and workload allow during dry weather conditions. Refer to manufacturer’s recommendations for appropriate temperatures.
- Blasting sand or abrasive
- C.I.M. 1000
- Horseyset WD
- Futura-Flex 520 HB
- Carboline Multi-gard 954
- Futura-Flex 521 HB
- Pilgrim Plastic
- Mark 68.1 (Poly-Carb Co.)
- Tapco H-550
- Vulkem 925
1. Remove all dirt and debris by compressed air, scraping or other hand tool methods.
2. Lightly sandblast top of caps and up or down on each vertical face at least six inches.
3. Remove any remaining material with compressed air.
4. Install sealant on top of caps and up or down on each vertical face at least five inches.