Category:641 Bicycle Facilities
MoDOT values the needs of all transportation users, including bicyclists. Local, state and federal agencies are responding to bicyclists' increased use of roadways and bridges by implementing a wide variety of bicycle-related projects and programs. Safe, convenient and well-designed transportation facilities are essential to encourage bicycle use. Consideration for the provision of bicycle facilities on MoDOT improvement projects occurs during planning and design activities, when specific conditions exist:
- The local jurisdiction has a comprehensive bicycle policy in the area of the proposed improvement.
- There is public support through local planning organizations for the provision of bicycle facilities.
- The local jurisdiction agrees to fund the total cost of the facility (right of way and construction) plus the provision of future maintenance.
- The local community supports the incorporation of facilities on a particular project.
- Bicycle traffic generators are located near the proposed project (ie. residential neighborhoods, employment centers, shopping centers, schools, parks, libraries, etc.).
- There is evidence of bicycle traffic along the proposed project or the local community supports the incorporation of facilities at this time.
- The route provides access across a natural or man-made barrier (ie. bridges over rivers, roadways, railroads or under access controlled facilities).
The design and installation of specific facilities is at the sole discretion of the director or the district engineer acting as the director’s designee. The decision to provide or not provide a facility on any project will be documented.
Dedicated bicycle facilities will not be provided on interstate roadways or located within their rights of way. However, a bicycle facility may be provided along a non-interstate roadway that crosses interstate right of way if it is grade separated from the interstate travelway and the bicycle facility crossing interstate right of way remains the same as the bicycle facility on each approach to the interstate. For instance, if the bicycle facility is a designated bicycle lane on each approach to the interstate, then it should continue as a designated bicycle lane as it crosses the interstate roadway.
Wherever possible facilities are to be located off MoDOT’s right of way. However, many times bicycle traffic can be accommodated on a proposed improvement simply through the use of a paved shoulder. If this alternative proves unsatisfactory, several other types of facilities can be selected to address the bicyclist’s need.
|Bike and Pedestrian Safety|
Costs for the construction and maintenance of new bicycle facilities, including right of way, may be funded by local jurisdictions, by non-department sources, or by the department itself. Enhancement funds cannot be used for maintenance of bicycle facilities. State funds will only be used for facilities located on MoDOT right of way. Bicycle facility funding arrangements for design, construction and maintenance must be addressed with a written agreement between MoDOT and a local sponsor.
Existing bicycle facilities disturbed by any MoDOT improvement project will be replaced at MoDOT’s expense, unless superseded by provisions of a previously executed agreement or permit. Normal right of way and construction costs for this restoration will be included as a project cost for the proposed improvement.
Articles in "641 Bicycle Facilities"
This category contains only the following page.