Category:106.3.2 Material Inspection Test Methods
Materials to be used by MoDOT are tested in accordance with one or more of the following methods:
- (a) The methods specified by a recognized national standard agency such as ASTM, AASHTO, AWWA, AWS, etc.
- (b) The methods specified by a recognized national standard agency modified by MoDOT to reflect local conditions.
- (c) Test methods devised by MoDOT and on file with the Commission as MoDOT Test Methods.
- (d) Test methods as described in the individual articles of the Engineering Policy Guide.
- (e) Test methods specified in the contract.
- (f) When appropriate methods have not been specified, tests shall be performed in a manner determined by the engineer.
When a specification of a recognized national standard agency (ASTM, AASHTO, AWWA, AWS, etc.) is designated, the material shall meet either the designated specification if a date is indicated or the latest revision thereof in effect at the time of letting of the contract. Tests on samples of materials will be made in accordance with the methods specified in the contract or in accordance with the latest methods in effect at the time of letting of the contract, as prescribed by the national standard agency. Such national standard specifications and methods of tests shall include those designated as tentative, interim or amended and officially approved and published by the sponsoring agency.
|Return to EPG 106.3 Samples, Tests and Cited Specifications|
Inspections Based on Non-MoDOT Specifications
MoDOT inspectors are often tasked with following specifications neither produced nor controlled by MoDOT such as those for materials and tests governed by AASHTO or ASTM. Also, inspectors may administer contracts using completely different specification systems such as the American Public Works Association or another state’s specification.
Inspectors should be careful not to distribute copyrighted materials outside the department. This includes ASTM and AASHTO specifications referenced in MoDOT specifications and contracts. A contractor, supplier or third party needing a copy of the ASTM or AASHTO specifications must go through retail channels.
The Construction and Materials division licenses the full ASTM standard in electronic form. Any MoDOT inspector needing a copy of an ASTM standard should contact the Materials Lab or the Field Office.
AASHTO standards are available in book format. The Construction and Materials division buys several sets of books each year. Each district should distribute the AASHTO books in the best manner to meet the needs of the inspectors. Districts can elect to buy additional book sets after considering the costs and benefits.
When a non-MoDOT specification is changed the newest version should be followed. If the change made to a non-MoDOT specification negatively impacts the contractor, supplier or MoDOT, the case should be examined and the best course of action determined. Central Office Construction and Materials should be notified when a change in ASTM or AASHTO impacts MoDOT business.
Articles in "106.3.2 Material Inspection Test Methods"
The following 85 pages are in this category, out of 85 total.
- 220.127.116.11 TM-1, Alkalinity of Glass Fiber Mat Materials
- 18.104.22.168 TM-2
- 22.214.171.124 TM-3
- 126.96.36.199 TM-4
- 188.8.131.52 TM-5
- 184.108.40.206 TM-6
- 220.127.116.11 TM-7, Rebound Hammer for Opening Strength of Full Depth Concrete Pavement Repairs
- 18.104.22.168 TM-8, Photometric Test for Measuring the Brightness of Reflective Sheeting
- 22.214.171.124 TM-9, Resilience of Hot-Poured Elastic Type Joint Sealer
- 126.96.36.199 TM-10, Specific Gravity Coarse Aggregate for Bituminous Mixtures
- 188.8.131.52 TM-11, Static Immersion Stripping Test
- 184.108.40.206 TM-12, Stripping of Bituminous-Aggregate Mixtures, Boil Method for Seal Coats
- 220.127.116.11 TM-13
- 18.104.22.168 TM-14, Soundness Test of Coarse Aggregate - Water-Alcohol Freeze Method
- 22.214.171.124 TM-15
- 126.96.36.199 TM-16
- 188.8.131.52 TM-17
- 184.108.40.206 TM-18, Smolder Resistance of Jute Netting
- 220.127.116.11 TM-19, Measurement of Pavement Surface Texture Depth by the Sand-Patch Method
- 18.104.22.168 TM-20, Measurement of Air, Surface or Bituminous Mixture Temperature
- 22.214.171.124 TM-21, Determination of Cobalt in Tungsten Carbide Inserts
- 126.96.36.199 TM-22, Determination of Percent Open Area of Plastic Filter Cloth
- 188.8.131.52 TM-23, Determination of Equivalent Opening Size of Plastic Filter Cloth
- 184.108.40.206 TM-24
- 220.127.116.11 TM-25, Determination of Chlorine in Chlorinated Rubber and Chlorinated Paraffin
- 18.104.22.168 TM-26, Determination of Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium Carbonate in Lime and Pigment Materials
- 22.214.171.124 TM-27, Determination of Calcium Oxide and Magnesium Oxide in Hydrated Lime
- 126.96.36.199 TM-28, Determination of Potash in Fertilizer
- 188.8.131.52 TM-29, Determination of Nitrogen in Liquid Fertilizers
- 184.108.40.206 TM-30
- 220.127.116.11 TM-31
- 18.104.22.168 TM-32, Determination of Purity of Sodium Chloride
- 22.214.171.124 TM-33
- 126.96.36.199 TM-34, Determination of Phosphorus in Lubricants
- 188.8.131.52 TM-35, Moisture Offset Factor for a Nuclear Gauge
- 184.108.40.206 TM-36, Density of Plastic Portland Cement Concrete by Nuclear Gauge
- 220.127.116.11 TM-37, Apparent Specific Gravity of Fine Aggregate for Bituminous Mixtures
- 18.104.22.168 TM-38, Determination of Dew Point for Structural Steel Painting
- 22.214.171.124 TM-39, Pull-Out Tests on Expansive Mortars
- 126.96.36.199 TM-40, A One-Point Moisture-Density Relations Test for Soils
- 188.8.131.52 TM-41, Density Testing of Bituminous Mixtures with Nuclear Gauges
- 184.108.40.206 TM-45, Determination of Dry Film Coating Thickness Using Magnetic Gauges
- 220.127.116.11 TM-46, Analysis of Cement, Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag and Fly Ash
- 18.104.22.168 TM-47
- 22.214.171.124 TM-48, Determination of the Purity of Calcium Chloride
- 126.96.36.199 TM-49, Pull-Out Tests on Chemical Bonding Agents
- 188.8.131.52 TM-50, Mechanical Analysis of Extracted Aggregate (Rapid Method)
- 184.108.40.206 TM-51, Determination of Bitumen in Bituminous Paving Mixtures
- 220.127.116.11 TM-52, Determination of Magnesium Chloride in Magnesium Chloride Brine
- 18.104.22.168 TM-53, Determination of Moisture Content of Bituminous Mixtures
- 22.214.171.124 TM-54, Asphalt Cement Content of Bituminous Mixtures by the Nuclear Method
- 126.96.36.199 TM-55, Determination of Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium in Soils
- 188.8.131.52 TM-56, Determination of Sodium Metasilicate (Na2SiO3)
- 184.108.40.206 TM-57, Determination of Manganese and/or Copper in Steel
- 220.127.116.11 TM-58, Determination of Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) in Commercial Fertilizers
- 18.104.22.168 TM-59, Determination of the International Roughness Index
- 22.214.171.124 TM-60, Test of Cellulose and Mineral Fibers for SMA Mixtures
- 126.96.36.199 TM-61, Asphalt Draindown Test Procedure for Stone Mastic Asphalt Mixtures
- 188.8.131.52 TM-62, Prequalification of Dust Suppressants
- 184.108.40.206 TM-63, Determination of Compatibility of Asphalt Release Agents with Hot Asphaltic Concrete
- 220.127.116.11 TM-64, Void Detection and Undersealing Verification Testing of Concrete Pavement with a Falling Weight Deflectometer
- 18.104.22.168 TM-66, Aggregate Sample Reduction
- 22.214.171.124 TM-67, Preparation of Concrete for Use in AASHTO T161 Freeze and Thaw
- 126.96.36.199 TM-68
- 188.8.131.52 TM-70, Glass Bead Tests
- 184.108.40.206 TM-71, Deleterious Content of Aggregate
- 220.127.116.11 TM-72, Sweep Test of Bituminous Surface Treatment Samples
- 18.104.22.168 TM-73, Volume of Voids in Compacted Filler or Fines
- 22.214.171.124 TM-74, Pullout Tests on Epoxy Bonding Agents for Resin Anchor Systems
- 126.96.36.199 TM-75, Determining Segregation Using the Nuclear Density Gauge
- 188.8.131.52 TM-76, Acid Insoluble Residue
- 184.108.40.206 TM-77, Determining the Binder Ignition Aggregate Correction Factor for Mixtures Containing Rap
- 220.127.116.11 TM-78, Los Angeles Abrasion for Lightweight Aggregate
- 18.104.22.168 TM-79, Procedure to Prepare Aggregate to Determine the Plasticity Index
- 22.214.171.124 TM-80, Measurement of Retroreflectivity by Handheld Retroreflectometers
- 126.96.36.199 TM-81, Specific Gravity and Absorption of Aggregate Using Automatic Vacuum Sealing Method
- 188.8.131.52 TM-82, Concrete Uniformity
- 184.108.40.206 TM-83, Field Estimation of Water Permeability of Compacted Asphalt Paving Mixtures
- 220.127.116.11 TM-84, Pipe Laser Profile Calibration
- 18.104.22.168 TM-85 Determination of Polyphosphoric Acid (PPA) in Performance Graded (PG) Asphalt Binders
- 22.214.171.124 TM-86 Preparation of Samples for Surface Sealer Wet Track Abrasion
- 126.96.36.199 TM-87 No-Pick-Up Time for Tack Coats
- 188.8.131.52 TM-88 Bond Strength Test for Tack Coat
- 184.108.40.206 TM-89 Determination of Aluminum Oxide in High Friction Surface Treatments (HFST)
- 220.127.116.11, Determination of Chemical Components in Asphalt and Non-Asphalt Rejuvenators