Category:106.3.2 Material Inspection Test Methods
Materials to be used by MoDOT are tested in accordance with one or more of the following methods:
- (a) The methods specified by a recognized national standard agency such as ASTM, AASHTO, AWWA, AWS, etc.
- (b) The methods specified by a recognized national standard agency modified by MoDOT to reflect local conditions.
- (c) Test methods devised by MoDOT and on file with the Commission as MoDOT Test Methods.
- (d) Test methods as described in the individual articles of the Engineering Policy Guide.
- (e) Test methods specified in the contract.
- (f) When appropriate methods have not been specified, tests shall be performed in a manner determined by the engineer.
When a specification of a recognized national standard agency (ASTM, AASHTO, AWWA, AWS, etc.) is designated, the material shall meet either the designated specification if a date is indicated or the latest revision thereof in effect at the time of letting of the contract. Tests on samples of materials will be made in accordance with the methods specified in the contract or in accordance with the latest methods in effect at the time of letting of the contract, as prescribed by the national standard agency. Such national standard specifications and methods of tests shall include those designated as tentative, interim or amended and officially approved and published by the sponsoring agency.
|Return to EPG 106.3 Samples, Tests and Cited Specifications|
Inspections Based on Non-MoDOT Specifications
MoDOT inspectors are often tasked with following specifications neither produced nor controlled by MoDOT such as those for materials and tests governed by AASHTO or ASTM. Also, inspectors may administer contracts using completely different specification systems such as the American Public Works Association or another state’s specification.
Inspectors should be careful not to distribute copyrighted materials outside the department. This includes ASTM and AASHTO specifications referenced in MoDOT specifications and contracts. A contractor, supplier or third party needing a copy of the ASTM or AASHTO specifications must go through retail channels.
The Construction and Materials division licenses the full ASTM standard in electronic form. Any MoDOT inspector needing a copy of an ASTM standard should contact the Materials Lab or the Field Office.
AASHTO standards are available in book format. The Construction and Materials division buys several sets of books each year. Each district should distribute the AASHTO books in the best manner to meet the needs of the inspectors. Districts can elect to buy additional book sets after considering the costs and benefits.
When a non-MoDOT specification is changed the newest version should be followed. If the change made to a non-MoDOT specification negatively impacts the contractor, supplier or MoDOT, the case should be examined and the best course of action determined. Central Office Construction and Materials should be notified when a change in ASTM or AASHTO impacts MoDOT business.
Articles in "106.3.2 Material Inspection Test Methods"
The following 85 pages are in this category, out of 85 total.
- 22.214.171.124 TM-1, Alkalinity of Glass Fiber Mat Materials
- 126.96.36.199 TM-2
- 188.8.131.52 TM-3
- 184.108.40.206 TM-4
- 220.127.116.11 TM-5
- 18.104.22.168 TM-6
- 22.214.171.124 TM-7, Rebound Hammer for Opening Strength of Full Depth Concrete Pavement Repairs
- 126.96.36.199 TM-8, Photometric Test for Measuring the Brightness of Reflective Sheeting
- 188.8.131.52 TM-9, Resilience of Hot-Poured Elastic Type Joint Sealer
- 184.108.40.206 TM-10, Specific Gravity Coarse Aggregate for Bituminous Mixtures
- 220.127.116.11 TM-11, Static Immersion Stripping Test
- 18.104.22.168 TM-12, Stripping of Bituminous-Aggregate Mixtures, Boil Method for Seal Coats
- 22.214.171.124 TM-13
- 126.96.36.199 TM-14, Soundness Test of Coarse Aggregate - Water-Alcohol Freeze Method
- 188.8.131.52 TM-15
- 184.108.40.206 TM-16
- 220.127.116.11 TM-17
- 18.104.22.168 TM-18, Smolder Resistance of Jute Netting
- 22.214.171.124 TM-19, Measurement of Pavement Surface Texture Depth by the Sand-Patch Method
- 126.96.36.199 TM-20, Measurement of Air, Surface or Bituminous Mixture Temperature
- 188.8.131.52 TM-21, Determination of Cobalt in Tungsten Carbide Inserts
- 184.108.40.206 TM-22, Determination of Percent Open Area of Plastic Filter Cloth
- 220.127.116.11 TM-23, Determination of Equivalent Opening Size of Plastic Filter Cloth
- 18.104.22.168 TM-24
- 22.214.171.124 TM-25, Determination of Chlorine in Chlorinated Rubber and Chlorinated Paraffin
- 126.96.36.199 TM-26, Determination of Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium Carbonate in Lime and Pigment Materials
- 188.8.131.52 TM-27, Determination of Calcium Oxide and Magnesium Oxide in Hydrated Lime
- 184.108.40.206 TM-28, Determination of Potash in Fertilizer
- 220.127.116.11 TM-29, Determination of Nitrogen in Liquid Fertilizers
- 18.104.22.168 TM-30
- 22.214.171.124 TM-31
- 126.96.36.199 TM-32, Determination of Purity of Sodium Chloride
- 188.8.131.52 TM-33
- 184.108.40.206 TM-34, Determination of Phosphorus in Lubricants
- 220.127.116.11 TM-35, Moisture Offset Factor for a Nuclear Gauge
- 18.104.22.168 TM-36, Density of Plastic Portland Cement Concrete by Nuclear Gauge
- 22.214.171.124 TM-37, Apparent Specific Gravity of Fine Aggregate for Bituminous Mixtures
- 126.96.36.199 TM-38, Determination of Dew Point for Structural Steel Painting
- 188.8.131.52 TM-39, Pull-Out Tests on Expansive Mortars
- 184.108.40.206 TM-40, A One-Point Moisture-Density Relations Test for Soils
- 220.127.116.11 TM-41, Density Testing of Bituminous Mixtures with Nuclear Gauges
- 18.104.22.168 TM-45, Determination of Dry Film Coating Thickness Using Magnetic Gauges
- 22.214.171.124 TM-46, Analysis of Cement, Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag and Fly Ash
- 126.96.36.199 TM-47
- 188.8.131.52 TM-48, Determination of the Purity of Calcium Chloride
- 184.108.40.206 TM-49, Pull-Out Tests on Chemical Bonding Agents
- 220.127.116.11 TM-50, Mechanical Analysis of Extracted Aggregate (Rapid Method)
- 18.104.22.168 TM-51, Determination of Bitumen in Bituminous Paving Mixtures
- 22.214.171.124 TM-52, Determination of Magnesium Chloride in Magnesium Chloride Brine
- 126.96.36.199 TM-53, Determination of Moisture Content of Bituminous Mixtures
- 188.8.131.52 TM-54, Asphalt Cement Content of Bituminous Mixtures by the Nuclear Method
- 184.108.40.206 TM-55, Determination of Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium in Soils
- 220.127.116.11 TM-56, Determination of Sodium Metasilicate (Na2SiO3)
- 18.104.22.168 TM-57, Determination of Manganese and/or Copper in Steel
- 22.214.171.124 TM-58, Determination of Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) in Commercial Fertilizers
- 126.96.36.199 TM-59, Determination of the International Roughness Index
- 188.8.131.52 TM-60, Test of Cellulose and Mineral Fibers for SMA Mixtures
- 184.108.40.206 TM-61, Asphalt Draindown Test Procedure for Stone Mastic Asphalt Mixtures
- 220.127.116.11 TM-62, Prequalification of Dust Suppressants
- 18.104.22.168 TM-63, Determination of Compatibility of Asphalt Release Agents with Hot Asphaltic Concrete
- 22.214.171.124 TM-64, Void Detection and Undersealing Verification Testing of Concrete Pavement with a Falling Weight Deflectometer
- 126.96.36.199 TM-66, Aggregate Sample Reduction
- 188.8.131.52 TM-67, Preparation of Concrete for Use in AASHTO T161 Freeze and Thaw
- 184.108.40.206 TM-68
- 220.127.116.11 TM-70, Glass Bead Tests
- 18.104.22.168 TM-71, Deleterious Content of Aggregate
- 22.214.171.124 TM-72, Sweep Test of Bituminous Surface Treatment Samples
- 126.96.36.199 TM-73, Volume of Voids in Compacted Filler or Fines
- 188.8.131.52 TM-74, Pullout Tests on Epoxy Bonding Agents for Resin Anchor Systems
- 184.108.40.206 TM-75, Determining Segregation Using the Nuclear Density Gauge
- 220.127.116.11 TM-76, Acid Insoluble Residue
- 18.104.22.168 TM-77, Determining the Binder Ignition Aggregate Correction Factor for Mixtures Containing Rap
- 22.214.171.124 TM-78, Los Angeles Abrasion for Lightweight Aggregate
- 126.96.36.199 TM-79, Procedure to Prepare Aggregate to Determine the Plasticity Index
- 188.8.131.52 TM-80, Measurement of Retroreflectivity by Handheld Retroreflectometers
- 184.108.40.206 TM-81, Specific Gravity and Absorption of Aggregate Using Automatic Vacuum Sealing Method
- 220.127.116.11 TM-82, Concrete Uniformity
- 18.104.22.168 TM-83, Field Estimation of Water Permeability of Compacted Asphalt Paving Mixtures
- 22.214.171.124 TM-84, Pipe Laser Profile Calibration
- 126.96.36.199 TM-85 Determination of Polyphosphoric Acid (PPA) in Performance Graded (PG) Asphalt Binders
- 188.8.131.52 TM-86 Preparation of Samples for Surface Sealer Wet Track Abrasion
- 184.108.40.206 TM-87 No-Pick-Up Time for Tack Coats
- 220.127.116.11 TM-88 Bond Strength Test for Tack Coat
- 18.104.22.168 TM-89 Determination of Aluminum Oxide in High Friction Surface Treatments (HFST)
- 22.214.171.124, Determination of Chemical Components in Asphalt and Non-Asphalt Rejuvenators